Monday, January 25, 2010

It's been a busy week at my end of the world. Lots of commitments, drama, death and dismemberment. Well, maybe not dismemberment. But some death and a funeral to attend.

I've stepped back also to try to get a grasp of what the conversations that interest me are about in the blogosphere. I'm flailing around and trying to find my way around this new endeavor. I'm not sure where I fit in, or if I even have a voice to add to the chorus. I identify with bits and parts of the food bloggers, and mommy bloggers, and even some of the newbie crafters. I wouldn't say I am firmly in any of those spheres, however. In the end, this may end up not being anything more than an electronic journal of food and wines I like and some meandering musings. I have to figure out if I'm ok with that, or if I want to commit more time to make it more than that.

But in the meantime, let's get on to the weekend cheese, and just for kicks, let's throw in a conversation about wine pairings.

The weekend cheese:



Humboldt Fog

Humboldt Fog is a goat milk cheese made by Cypress Grove Chevre, of Arcata, California, in Humboldt County. It is named for the local ocean fog which rolls in from Humboldt Bay.
Humboldt Fog is a mold-ripened cheese with a central line of edible ash much like
Morbier. The cheese ripens starting with the bloomy mold exterior, resulting in a core of fresh goat cheese surrounded by a runny shell. As the cheese matures, more of the originally crumbly core is converted to a soft-ripened texture. The bloomy mold and ash rind are edible but fairly tasteless. The cheese is creamy, light, and mildly acidic with a stronger flavor near the rind.
This cheese won first-place awards from the
American Cheese Society in 1998, 2002 and 2005.

I first tried this cheese as part of a cheese plate I was putting together for a small gathering. I wouldn't say it was the standout cheese of the three, but something about it intrigued me. It is very creamy, so it's like a spreadable cheese in that sense, and I did find that the flavor seemed to develop after a few days of having opened it.
I've had to get it a few times and try it in different combinations to get a real sense of the flavor profile. After having done so, I have to say that I like it best at room temp with water crackers. It is also good with some crusty french bread, but the water crackers seem to allow the focus to be more on the flavor of the cheese. It pairs equally well with a white or red wine. But I would certainly stay on the lighter end of those two. I've liked with a sauvignon blanc, or a very buttery (light on the oak) chardonnay and also with a light beaujolais or pinot noir. I would not say it pairs as well with the bolder flavors of a Sauvignon, Syrah or Merlot. Although, I found that a nice Cabernet has a nice contrast between the berries of the wine and creaminess of the cheese. My favorite pairings thus far, however, have been with some of the New World red blends. Try it with some Sexto, or Pillar Box Red.

Overall, I would say that this would not be a showstopper cheese (outside of the presentation) in a large gathering; but I would certainly save it for a smaller gathering where fewer distraction would detract from the simple complexity of the flavor profile.
Happy Monday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment