Thursday, January 14, 2010

Knitting and making new friends

"The reward of friendship is friendship itself." --Unknown.

Last night I attended the inaugural meeting of a knitting circle. You can go ahead and blast that image of grannies sitting around with sweet tea and quick breads discussing the sermon from church the previous week. This meeting included adult beverages and fabulous apps, and four smoking hot ladies! Complete with saucy tales and peppered with some questionable language. In short a ladies night without the tired out bar scene, which would be inappropriate for some of us anyways as two are married, one engaged and the other involved.

We had a blast! We laughed and shared and knitted and ate and drank. Good times were shared by all. We are all mutually glad to have started this little group and I look forward to a year filled with knitting projects and friendship.

After a pretty rocky start to the new year in that whole interpersonal relationship front (not at home, just extended relationships) I really needed this evening to remind me that I can connect with people and make friends. We may all be at different stages of our lives (I’m the only one with non-furry kids right now) but we had such a great time! And I marveled at the fact that at this stage of my life which is filled with so many family commitments, I could still be swinging a version of girl’s night and making new friendships.

This is what it’s about…and all those other people that have tried to rain on my parade these past couple of weeks with your own preconceived notions and skewed perceptions…I have a message for you – you can SUCK IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment